Alpine Flying Centre☰Menu
Post CPC - Intermediates
(Please note this page contains a lot of very benficial information.)
This Course is the helping hand and confidence booster for new pilots! We try and cover cover all aspects of being new to the mountains, refreshing your techniques if you are a little rusty and perhaps adapting new ones..
The course is combination of 'Introduction to the Mountains', a 'Refresher' and an introduction into 'Mountain Thermalling' and includes lots of flying in this relaxed environment.
It includes glider/harness/equipment safety checks, and if required we'll help you with alpine front and reverse launch techniques, and introduce you into different landing approaches altering them for the continuously changing flying conditions. We help with alpine thermalling and perhaps reinforce and help you practice flying techniques that make alpine flying a little easier.
• Glider control. Vast alpine flights give us time perfecting efficient 360 turns and accuracy positioning our gliders for best climbs. We will offer suggestions and ideas on how to fly your glider effectively and efficiently making the most in thermal climbs. We also help with your variometer and/or GPS to make the most of each and every flight developing efficient speeds-to-fly in gliding flight.
• Effects of Turbulence. By employing the correct defensive (active) flying techniques, the effects of turbulence can be minimized. We deal with recovery from the effects of turbulence, such as, how to reduce the chances of asymmetric and symmretric closures, stalls and spins. As we have flying sites with plenty of height we could practice asymmetric closures and pitch control exercises if they haven't been covered beforehand, all at the pilots discretion!
• Descent Techniques. We look at and practice safe rapid techniques using big ears and speed bar and fast 360's leading to spiral dives, again at the pilots discretion!
• Speeds to Fly. Here we look at the use of speed bar, using it effectlively while making the most from each transitional glide between thermals, into wind or with valley crossings!
• Site Briefings. Each day and at each site visited you will be briefed comprehensively on the launch and landing areas, where the best thermals may be and how to make the most of your flights. You will also be advised of all the danger areas.
This is also a good time to tick off some or even all of those 'Pilot Level' tasks that require some altitude and long flights. See here for the details.
Minimum requirements for the Post CPC/Novice level course is license completed with a little airtime plus all own equipment including reserve parachute and variometer. A GPS, and radio with helmet headset is optional but useful.
We have radios for hire @ 10 Euros a day. Our own licensed 2m band radio frequency is 161,325. When bringing your own electronics please bring the appropriate instruction manuals, battery chargers cables and computer cables.
Don’t forget your logbook, proof of membership, qualifications and insurance details.
Post CPC courses are available throughout the year and any amount of days can be booked, though we recommend a minimum of 4 days especially for newly qualified pilots. Please check the Availabilty Page for dates.
The cost for local flying is 220€ (Euros) a person/day, 270€ for 2 pilots, or 300€ for 3 pilots: for groups ask us for a quote. All transport to the local drive-to flying sites and retrieves are included.
PLEASE NOTE: all dates require booking please see the Prices Page for booking details and terms.
We have a series of Pod Casts on Equipment and Safety Issues that are well worth listening too: click here for the details - Pod Casts.
Flying paragliders is more of a career in soaring and thermalling, we never stop learning, that's why it's such a fantastic sport and becoming competent within oneself sometimes takes a little longer!
To help understand what's involved in the training we definitely advise the new student reads 'Touching Cloudbase' and/or looks at the excellent DVD 'Learn to Fly' before they visit us for their training. The knowledge gained will be invaluable! We have them in stock!
Touching Cloudbase' by Ian Currer is explanatory and very educational, with detailed information for the necessary EPC and CPC exams.
It's also an excellent read for the new pilot It costs just 35 Euros plus postage and is worth every centime. We have this in stock!
For those who prefer watching a DVD. Here is the Learn to Fly paragliding
film. This DVD is perfect for all new pilots with 3D animation bringing to
life many of the hard to visualise concepts which are so important for us to
understand. Details on airflows around hills and mountains, turbulence and
convergence, dynamics and thermal lift plus aerodynamics of lift and drag,
speeds to fly and so on! This excellent DVD is just 39.95 Euros plus
postage. We have this in stock!
Here is some great reading from BRUCE GOLDSMITH, World Champion pilot and one of the World's most experienced glider designers. Fifty Ways to Fly Better is essential for all pilots who want to reach their potential. It is packed with the latest techniques from Bruce Goldsmith and some valuable tips from the world’s best pilots and instructors. 35 Euros plus postage. We have this in stock!